Friday, May 09, 2008

Things I miss from Australia

I've lived in Colorado for two and a half years now. Whenever it comes up in conversation that I grew up in Australia, the question inevitably comes up about what I miss.

Here are a five things off the top of my head:

The Beach
I've lived no more than a 10 minute drive from a beach for all my life. Moving to the middle of a very large country was quite a change. The nearest beach is a 2 hour flight, or a 17 hour drive from here, and that took a little time to get used to.

One strange thing is that at times I miss the option to go to the beach even more than actually going.

While everyone knows how fun the beach can be in summer, many people don't realize the beauty of winter storm. Walking along a breakwater while massive waves pound the rocks and turn to spray that shoots higher than the lighthouse give a sense of awe at the power of nature.

Kebabs
Hot dogs are good. Bratwurst is better, but one thing I can't get in Denver is good Kebab from a street vendor.

For those of you from the US - a Donner Kebab is not meat on a stick, it's similar to a Gyro, only much, much better. Especially at 2:00am ;)

I swear if someone would open a late night Kebab van on or near a college campus, they would make a fortune.

Alfresco Dining
Eating outside, or in a cafe where the entire shopfront opens is just not at common here. Boulder is better than Denver is this regard, but sometimes it seem that everything is a chain restaurant. We have 300 sunny days a year in Colorado, it's perfect for outdoor eating.

I also miss cafe food. Lighter and smaller than chain food. Excellent coffee with a small afternoon meal. Talking with friends rather than eating as quickly as possible. Mediterranean influences, European influences and Asian influences all next door to each other. It's less rushed, less stressed and certainly more enjoyable.

Bundaberg Rum
It's common knowledge that Australians like beer. Not so well known is we also have a national liquor - Bundaberg Rum. "Bundy" as it is known to the locals is a fantastic gold rum distilled in Australia from Australian sugarcane. It's VERY different from both the white rums such as baccardi, and spiced rums like Captain Morgan's...

Great mixed with Coke, Ginger Beer or Ginger Ale, or add a little kick to a cake!

Sydney
I love Sydney. There's so much to say about it that I think I'll save it for another post :) But I love the CBD, the harbour, the nightlife and the markets. I'm just glad I don't have to buy a house there, the prices are ridiculous!

There are many other things that I miss, but I won't explain them all. A short list would include:
  • A sensible drinking age (18)
  • Sales taxes are included in advertised prices (and are consistent no matter where you go)
  • Good Bread!
  • Meat Pies and Sausage rolls
  • A Health system that may not be perfect, but it works better than the US
  • Sensible insurance that is also understandible
  • The metric system - Seriously, I don't get the change resistance
But the biggest thing I miss is my Family and Friends - Another thing I need to devote a whole post to.

If anyone actually does read this post, let me know what you like about Aus compared to the US!

Don't think it's all one way though - next week I'll talk about some things I think the US does a lot better that Australia.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I like my Bundaberg with OJ :-)
Also, you forgot to mention Blunnies and Country Road, but it depends on your clothing tastes!

Unknown said...

Great list. I miss the beach, too, and most of the other things on your list. I have been in Denver 6 years now and I STILL miss these things. In fact, even more so.