Sunday, February 12, 2006

Gotta love the NFL!

Sitting with a Kahlua & coke, watching the Pro-bowl I just have wonder if things could get any better. Of course it wasn't long until I decided that one day I would love to see an American Football (Gridiron) game played at a competitive international level.

Thinking about it a little more I tried to think of ANY team sport with an international competition in which the USA is actively involved, and I struggled to come up with anything.

Coming from Australia, we love to challenge other countries. We have teams who are in the top Echelon internationally in: Rugby League, Rugby Union, Cricket, Netball, men's and woman's field hockey and soccer. Well maybe not soccer (we aren't that good) but at least we regularly play other countries.

When I think about the big sports in the USA, I think of Football, Basketball, Baseball and Ice Hockey. Now as far as I know, outside of the Olympics, there are no games played against other countries. I'm not counting the so-call "world series" or the NHL because in most respects Canada is little more than the 51st state. Honestly, who has a world series without inviting other nations??

So why would the USA either not participate in world-wide competition, or, not encourage it's national games to be taken up overseas?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I say briefly: Best! Useful information. Good job guys.
»

Anonymous said...

Your website has a useful information for beginners like me.
»

Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

Anonymous said...

Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.
»

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed with your site, very nice graphics!
»

Anonymous said...

It's a sunny (but cold) Saturday and all I could think of was how great it would be to go down to the local park and buy my self a beer and watch the local rugby match...ahh but we are in Denver so that will not be happening until at least March. It did make me wonder as I sat watching last night recording of the second round of the super 14 for 2007 if there were any Aussies out there who are keen to catch any of the Super 14 games or the world cup? I have Direct TV and get both and thought I should share the love and invite any fellow Rugby/Cricket supports to come watch a few games and perhaps even a quite beer or two. I love my sport but it can be so much more fun with others in the room screaming at the TV with me.

Daniel / 720 224 6587

Unknown said...

I'm a pseudo South African looking to watch the tri-nations match on Saturday. Any ideas, I might go to an Irish pub downtown on Saturday.